October 2011

                                                                     COUNCIL MINUTES

                                                                 VILLAGE OF FOREST HILLS

                                                                               October 4, 2011



The regular meeting of the Village of Forest Hills was held in the meeting room at the Jackson County Recreation Center at 6:00 pm on October 4, 2011.


The following members of the Council were present:

Jim Wallace, Mayor

Clark Corwin

Carl Hooper

Gene Tweedy

Suzanne Stone


The following Non-Council members were present:

Kolleen Begley, Finance Officer, Co-Clerk

Leanne Pate, Clerk



1.         Call to order: 6:00 pm by Mayor Jim Wallace


2.         Vote on Agenda: Proposed additions to new business for Nov. 1 meeting: Clark Corwin added 3 items: 1) compensation for clerk and finance officer, 2) vision statement 3) rules of procedure.  Kolleen Begley added one item: Accounting Audit.  Jim Wallace noted the addition of a 3-minute “public comment” session.  A motion to approve the agenda was made by Gene Tweedy, seconded by Carl Hooper, unanimously approved.


3.         Approval of meeting minutes for September 6, 2011 Council meeting:  Clark Corwin noted a spelling error – Vickie Greene should be Vicki Green. A motion to approve the minutes was made by Gene Tweedy, seconded by Suzanne Stone, unanimously approved.  (Approved meeting minutes are posted on the Village website.)


4.         Financial reports for the months of July, 2011:  Kolleen Begley gave the Financial Report as 3 months into the 12 months fiscal year, stating: cash position is good at $36K, franchise and utility tax revenue came in, general expenses included police patrol, county fees, street maintenance, entrance (water). Only ½ of Powell Bill funds came in, per statutory changes the other half will come December 1st.  CPA will audit next month.  Motion to accept the financial report was made by Carl Hooper, seconded by Gene Tweedy, unanimously approved.


5.          “Closed Session”: with Village Attorney   


6.         Conditional Use Permits:  Jim Wallace presented example from Town of Sylva.  Motion to use same format for the Village made by Suzanne Stone, seconded by Carl Hooper.  Mark Teague nominated to edit document for use by the Village.  Unanimously approved.


7.         Zoning Board of Adjustment:  No nominations.  Clark Corwin inquired: can the Planning Board be (on) the Board of Adjustment?  Jim Wallace proposed to continue item until next meeting.  


8.         Drainage Problem:  Jim Wallace addressed problem areas: Cave Springs Road at South Country Club Drive (at mailboxes), and North Country Club Drive after road narrows at Devane and Thompson

VFH Council Meeting Minutes 10-4-11 pg. 2


houses (clogged ditch).  Mark Teague added that gravel may be needed.  Kolleen to contact Tim Green, discussion as to procedure for charges/overages.  Gene Tweedy made a motion to allow Tim Green to

repair areas if charges are less than/equal to $500 without further approval.  Carl Hooper seconded, unanimously approved.


9.         New Business:


a)      Items to add for next meeting: finance officer and clerk compensation

b)      Vision statement, rules of procedure work session

c)      Accounting audit report at next meeting

d)      Town Clerk position – possibility of Town of Dillsboro clerk to fill position


10.       Old Business:


a)      Road Repairs - Gene Tweedy wants clarification that some road sections were repaired from bottom up (graded to base), other sections were paved over.

b)      Stop Signs – Jim Wallace noted Alan Begley installed stop sign at the end of Cave Springs Road exit onto South Country Club Drive, and DOT installed stop sign at Oak Forest exit onto South Country Club Drive, but DOT would not install traffic mirror, deeming it unnecessary.


11.       Public Comment:


a)      Shannon King – asks council to consider her Monarch Student Housing Project.

b)      Charlotte – expressed concerns regarding the proposed Monarch Student Housing Development, in favor of single-family residential

c)      Rick Cardona – lives in apartments at Pincushion, expressed concerns about noise from proposed Monarch Student Housing Development

d)      Dan Perlmutter – urges the board to survey neighbors of Monarch’s other developments as to their own experiences.



At 7:07 pm Jim Wallace called for a motion to adjourn.  Motion to adjourn was made by Clark Corwin, seconded by Carl Hooper, unanimously approved.