April 2012



April 03, 2012

The regular meeting of the Village of Forest Hills was held onApril 03, 2012 in the meeting room at the Jackson County Recreation Center at 6:00pm.

 The following members of the Council were present:

Jim Wallace, Mayor

Clark Corwin

Carl Hooper

Suzanne Stone

Gene Tweedy

 The following Non-Council members were present:

David Moore, Village Attorney

Stephanie Gibson, Village Clerk/Finance Officer

Ken Dickert, Village Zoning Administrator

Irene Hooper, Resident

Maggie Tobias, Sylva Herald

(1)  Call to order: 6:00pm by Mayor Jim Wallace

(2)  Vote on Agenda: Gene Tweedy made a motion to approve the agenda and Carl Hooper seconded the motion.

(3)  Approval of meeting minutes fromMarch 06, 2012 Council meeting:  A motion to approve the minutes was made by Gene Tweedy, seconded by Carl Hooper, unanimously approved.  (Approved meeting minutes are posted on the Village website.)

 (4)  Financial reports for the month of March, 2012.  Stephanie Gibson provided the Financial Reports that were handed out.  The budget for March included $2,575.52 in revenues and $1,530.02 in expenditures.  Other revenues included interest ($5.29). General expenses included police protection, utilities, web maintenance fees, postal box fee, and attorney fees.   Motion to accept the financial report was made by Clark Corwin, seconded by Carl Hooper, unanimously approved.

(5)  Conditional Permit of Bill Edwards:  Ken Dickert provided a copy of the application that Mr. Edwards submitted for a Conditional Use Permit for construction of 15 buildings (180 units) to be called Catamount Hollow.  The stated purpose is for a residential living area (ostensibly faculty housing).  Ken noted that based on the application as written, he is recommending the permit be denied due to zoning conflict.  Ken said that Mr. Edwards request is based on R-4 zoning and the area is zoned R-1.  The attorney said that the zoning conflict is the response that should be given.  He noted that Mr. Edwards would have the right to appeal the decision.

(6)  Village Concerns (Entrance Maintenance, Culvert Drainage Repair, & Village Appearance):  Jim Wallace said he spoke with the School of Government and was told that the maintenance contract due June 1 can be renewed.  Granning took care of culvert drainage repair.  Victor Lofquist was contacted by Jim to see if he wanted to handle the situation discussed by Gene Tweedy concerning the Spell residence or if another engineer should be contacted. 

Clark mentioned concern of drainage on underdeveloped area near Jim.  Jim said he will call DOT to determine responsibility.

Jim asked if any of the members had not driven around the village.  Clark said that he walked and he noted a camper that was set up on Cox Cove.

Jim said that the tree across from the Moss property has not been cleaned up and asked how he should follow-up according to the ordinances.  Clark noted that enforcement would fall to the Zoning Administrator.

Clark Corwin noted the abandoned property that is near his residence is in ill repair. 

Jim Wallace said that he has had several residents say if you are going to have ordinances, they need to be enforced.

 (7)  New Business:

       a)   Spring Scraping:  Carl Hooper said he would contact Tim Greene about scraping the road.  Carl asked if the resident would be responsible for road damage and the Attorney responded that it was unlikely the property owner would be liable.  Clark said if necessary should gravel be added and it was agreed that it should.  It was approved for scraping to be done the end of April or in May without further discussion as long as the cost did not exceed $1,000.

       b)  Chancellor’s Celebration:  Suzanne Stone shared that the celebration held for the Belchers went really well and was greatly appreciated.

       c)    Vision Statement:  Clark Corwin would like for the Planning Board to create a vision statement and bring back to the council.  Jim Wallace said he feels that the statement should be created as a start.  Carl said that he doesn’t want the focus to be based on the recent survey.  Suzanne Stone reviewed the Mission Statement.  Jim said he will try to have names by the next meeting for the Planning Board.

(8)  Old Business: 

      a)  Budget Committee:  Carl Hooper said we need to determine who will be on the Budget Committee and when the meeting to discuss the budget for FY 12-13 will be held.  Gene Tweedy and Carl volunteered to be on the committee and asked that the Finance Officer join as well.  A meeting time will be determined by the members.

Irene Hooper said the Budget Committee should allow for resources to create the Mission Statement goals.  She noted that the Mission Statement guides what the Village does.  Clark Corwin added we first need a vision.

 At 6:50pm Jim Wallace called for a motion to adjourn, motion was made byGene Tweedy, seconded by Clark Corwin, unanimously approved.